Saturday, July 14, 2007

I try not to . . .

For the last couple years I've made a very intentional effort to not discuss politics, especially controversial subjects (which is tough when you major in political science), for a number of reasons, but some things are not politics but matters of justice.

In about 89 hours the state of Georgia will execute Troy Anthony Davis, who was convicted of a 1989 murder of an off-duty police officer in Savannah. Below, I've provided some links so you can research for yourself, but in brief, I believe that Davis probably did not commit this crime and that the burden of proof (beyond a reasonable doubt) is not even close to attainment. The one sentence version: 7 of the 9 eyewitnesses have since recanted, no DNA, no weapon was ever found, and Davis was not found to have any trace of gunpowder on his body. But as I said, don't take my word for it, sift and winnow on your own. Look at the links, do extra research.

I will make no elaborate ethical or Scriptural argument here. All I want to say is that no matter your position on the death penalty, you should be concerned about justice, especially if you are a Christ follower (Exodus 23:6; Isaiah 1:17), and I think we can all agree that if there's even a 1% chance a person is innocent their execution would be unjust.

If you want you can send a fax online to the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles (http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/siteapps/advocacy/index.aspx?c=jhKPIXPCIoE&b=2590179&template=x.ascx&action=8894), who will have one last chance to hear Davis' case (if you do so delete thier pre-written message a write something of your own, maybe they'll actually read it then), but what I'd rather have you do is pray. Pray for the cause of justice. Pray for Mr. Davis, who's been described as a prayerful man, pray that he would know Christ and know salvation in the only One who can truly justify. Pray that God would convict the Board of Pardons and Paroles to grant clemency. Pray that we could be people who love justice.

Davis' hearing will be held at 9 AM Eastern Time on Monday. I'll be fasting from 2 PM Sunday until the result of the hearing is announced, feel free to join me.

Remember, I seek to avoid politics and I don't like telling people what to think. Weigh the evidence on your own. Think on your own. Pray.

---

Editorial
from Former FBI Director William S. Sessions (a death penalty supporter)

Letter from Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Editorial Board of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (a strong succinct argument)

Davis' Website

Time Magazine

0 comments: