Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wednesday Night Stories: Dinosaurs!


I once met a guy who goes on hikes with no supplies and just eats what he finds, often snakes, but don't worry he knows how to identify (and fight) the poisonous kinds.

I'm going to make pancakes tomorrow.

What do those two things have in common? Absolutely nothing.

That feeling of randomness and bewilderment is the way you feel sometimes when you live in a country where you are 96% illiterate and marginally conversational in the local language at best.

One weekend in East Asia, our team took a day trip to a city about an hour out, where the foothills start to become mountains.

It was a great day. I paid 30 cents to ring a bell twice (seen above) for which the worker, who was sleeping under the bell when we arrived, told me I would receive eternal, unending happiness and satisfaction.

What a steal!

Further, we ordered a salad and then saw the chef come out and literally gather the lettuce from a garden that was growing 15 feet from our table. I think that qualifies as fresh, organic, and local for event he staunchest food ethicist.

But the highlight for me, was what awaited us at the top of a mountain.

After exploring the valley below, hiking some small trails, and looking at swan-shaped paddle boats, we climbed aboard a chairlift to the top of the mountain.

And when we got off the chairlift we immediately surveyed the view and then I spotted this:



Yes. It was a dinosaur.

Why was it there?

I have no idea. But there was a dinosaur. Maybe fossils had been found at this location in the past? Perhaps the town was hoping to reel in Steven Spielberg to make a Jurassic Park sequel in their town? Maybe the dinosaurs were a defense in case of attack by real dinosaurs . . . zombie dinosaurs? Or somebody had just decided to put up some dinosaur statues. Oddly enough, dinosaur is one of the words I do know in the language. Say it with me: kong long.

And then we found this:
Thank you very much Mr Dinosaur. Thank you very, very much.

What a wonderful day.

Oh yeah, and also, Matt won and wore this hat.

0 comments: