Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day Five: A Little Girl

There are many stunning elements to the Christmas narrative, but those of us who are Protestants really like to skim over one of them.  We seem to very afraid of Mary.

Which strikes me as interesting as I am continually astounded at this likely 13-year-old girl's lack of fear (after the initial, standard angel-fright).

Mary gets what probably qualifies as the most shocking message ever delivered when she is told the following facts in succession:

  1. "God highly favors you."
  2. "The Lord is with you."
  3. "You will give birth to a son."
  4. "He will be called the Son of the Most High."
  5. "He will be a King . . . and reign forever."
  6. "Yes, I know you're a virgin."
Perhaps, you've been surprised by something in your life, but none of us can top Mary.

Yet look two of the recorded responses we have from Mary. She doesn't say, "Impossible!" nor does she say, "I am the greatest, check me out!"  Here's what she says:
"I am the Lord's servant.  May it be as you have said."
 and
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant"
 She's not arrogant or doubtful, instead she declares herself to be a servant and gives God the glory.

Oh, that we would glorify Him as our Master and Lord, humbly declaring His excellencies while submitting our wills to His Greater, Better will for His Eternal Glory.

0 comments: