Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Things That Aren't Helping

I've spent the last 36+ hours in somewhat of a stupor.

I'm going to keep this brief for reasons stated below.

But, as the events of the past few days have unfolded, I've continually returned to a mental image that I can't shake. I almost tear up every time it pops into my head (And for those that know me, "almost tear up" is the equivalent of weep uncontrollably for most folks. I don't emote sadness well.) This is the image. It's me hugging every black young man and boy I know and just repeating to them, "You matter. You matter. You matter."

Because right now, it seems like a lot of voices are telling them the opposite. And for the rest of their lives there will be people who, with a look or with a tone or with an epithet, will reinforce this destruction.

I want so badly for them to know the truth. That they are made in God's image. And that means no matter what, they matter, they count, they are precious.

I want them to know that by faith they can become His sons and live in an identity so strong that no man can bring them down. Ever.

But, that's not what I want to say here.

As I've read responses, tweets, blogs, and so forth, I've noticed some common themes that I can definitively say are unhelpful. Here's a few.

Majority Culture and the Need to Speak

I realize the irony that I am a white, college-educated man saying this, and that's why I intend to keep this blog short.

White folks, this is a time for us to keep our mouths shut. Or at least more shut than open.

That doesn't mean do nothing, what it means is: LISTEN! It means if you're going to speak let it be 1. After you've listened and 2. Preferably to ask a question so you can listen some more. At the bottom of this post, I've linked to the thoughts of a number of African American brothers and sisters who we ought listen to.

It's time to listen, pray, reflect, and as led repent.

Black on Black Crime References

I know the statistics. But . . .

1. Black people protest black-on-black crime constantly.
2. I've never heard a white person complain about white-on-white crime.
3. This argument is used again and again as a smokescreen.

Please don't bring this up.

Individualism

(I am going to make a generalization. It is just that, "general", not all folks)

In general, most white folks seem to be reacting to Ferguson based on the individual case. In general, most black folks seems to be reacting to Ferguson based on the cumulative impact of it and similar incidents throughout our society.

I would challenge majority culture folks to seek to "trade eyes" with some people who experience America differently than they do.

Denial of Systemic Injustice

Many people are blind to systemic injustice, this is a chance for them to learn about it.

But, many are outright denying there is any such thing. This is hurtful to those who have been victimized. And terrible theology.

In Genesis along with Romans and everywhere in between the Bible's description of the Fall is TOTAL. It is not just that our relationship with God is broken. It is not just that our relationship with other humans is broken. Every single relationship was vandalized and broken by the Fall and this includes systemic relationships. Sin is present in these systems. Injustice is present in these systems. To deny it is to deny sound theology.

I know that's an bold claim. But I also know a lot of people who are denying systemic injustice also care a lot about orthodoxy. I'm just a brother trying to make sure we preach and teach the Word accurately.

"Facts"

Appealing to "the jury has spoken" and the "facts of the case" is not helping. The previous two topics explain why.

Confirmation Bias

It seems a lot of us are being led by our political leanings, our cultural solidarity, or personal history. Last week I wrote about our Kingdom loyalty, but also, I'd ask that we would all consider whether or not we are guilty of hearing what we want to hear. Or at least what best fits our preferred narrative.

Apathy

Just ignoring it, waiting for the news cycle to move on. That doesn't help.

If you're reading this and your blood is boiling right now. I want to thank you. Thank you for caring enough to read this far. For not clicking to little "x". And I want to invite you to challenge me. Ask questions. Call me out if you think I've lost my mind. I'm willing to listen. I'm willing to have a conversation. I'd love to talk.

I promise I won't yell.

This is my list for now.



Here is a list of helpful points of view for those who are looking to listen (in no particular order):

Pastor Eric Mason: Blog
Pastor Efrem Smith: Blog
Professor Cristena Cleveland (She's really great): Blog
Rapper Derek Minor: Blog
Austin Channing: Blog
Pastor Thabiti Anyabwile: Blog
Rapper Lecrae: Blog

And some Twitter accounts to follow if you're so inclined:

@MrMedina
@Lecrae
@prophiphop
@efremsmith
@MrSwoope
@ThabitiAnyabwil
@bcloritts
@CSCleve
@LeonceCrump
@AmIshoBaraka
@AlvinSanders1 (I do not endorse his Big Ten sports related tweets however)
@drantbradley

May the God of peace (shalom) lead us all forward.

0 comments: