Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Shane Claiborne quote

Interesting (and convicting for me) quote from Shane Claiborne, author of the Irresistible Revolution and one of the founders of The Simple Way community in Philadelphia:
"God is not saying to the poor and the suffering, 'Come find the church,' but he's saying to the church, 'Go into the world and find me, find me where I'm thirsty, find me where I'm hungry, find me where I'm in prison, find me where I'm homeless and take me.'"
Basically, Shane Claiborne's whole life is a call to action rather than just talk. Its my prayer that we'd all make the choice to be people of action and to not stand idly by in a world where we all can have a huge impact.

I know for me, this is particularly difficult as I can talk and get excited about the potential of the church, the transforming power of the Gospel, and the clear Biblical call to care for the poor and to love, but all too often I become a model of Christian hypocrisy, all talk and no action.

This summer, I'm trying to change that and I hope that I'm starting to figure it out. A big part of it is learning about being Jesus to other people by being present in their lives. I pray that we would all be "finders" of the thirsty, the hungry, and the prisoners that surround each and every one of us (Note: its not just physical thirst, hunger, and imprisonment that I'm writing about).

0 comments: