Monday, May 23, 2011

Verse 1

"Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand."

Since October of 2008 the words "remind you of the gospel" have been central in my life. The single most valuable lesson from spending a year overseas to "share the gospel" with others was that I need the gospel just as much as that person I'm sharing it with.

Not an hour goes by in my life where the Gospel of Christ is not the primary reminder I need.

So, it's fitting that Paul, the author, opens this chapter reminding the Corinthians of that Gospel.

We need to be reminded of the Gospel.

Because our tendency and nature will be to forget it.

The gospel is not merely the door by which we enter God's family, it is the path that we must walk on every day. It is our growth. It is our hope. It is our present and our future.

And it's also God's fully accomplished, completed work on our behalf.

I forget the Gospel.

I forget it all the time. And when I do, things do not go well for me.

Writing on "the truth of the Gospel" Martin Luther said, "Most necessary it is, therefore, that we should know this article well, teach it unto others, and beat it into their heads consistently."

Paul is reminding some nasty, rebellious people 2000 years ago and we need to be reminded too.

So, remember the True, effective Gospel that has been preached to you, that which you have received, that which you have taken your stand upon. And when you have done that . . . beat it into your head, remind yourself of the Gospel.

0 comments: