Monday, September 12, 2011

Update

It's fun to look back.

I originally started this blog as a way to update people on my summer internship with 2nd Mile Ministries in Jacksonville back in 2007. Then after a couple post-internship posts it sat idle for 2 years and lo and behold I returned the Jacksonville and resurrected the blog (in fact, Thursday marks the 2 year anniversary of my moving to Florida).

For the past year or so, this has mostly been a place for past reflections and theo-philosophical musings rather than up-to-date life updates, and this has been intentional for a number of reasons, but tonight's probably a good time to give y'all an update, because today was a big day.

Almost a year after the idea was first surfaced, today we started our 5 day a week after school program!

In the past year, I've visited programs as far as 6 hours south and 12 hours North, read more books than I'd have liked, and spent far too many hours staring at manila folders and computer screens, but it's real now. It's very, very real.

Our program is called the two:fiftytwo After School Program and the link will tell you more about it.

Today was pretty great. It went better and smoother than any of us had predicted. The attitudes were terrific. Three kids said "Yea!" when I announced it was time to start homework. Rules were generally followed. Recreation time was tiring and warm.

At the same time, I'm still keenly aware that I am by no means an expert at education, program leadership, or management, but I am more excited and ready to gradually learn and grow in that process today than I've ever been before.

In fact, I've often told people that I am not passionate about working with elementary aged kids, but today, I could see the possibility that I could open up to that and actually do this for awhile. That feel weird to type.

Good thing though . . . because I'm buying a house on Friday.

There's your update!

P.S. For fans of my Biblical commentary and musings on various geographical locales, I'm gon' get back in rhythm here eventually. Don't fret!

2 comments:

Irene said...

So excited to hear that one of those seed prayers from years ago is beginning to come to fruition! So happy that you have the privilege to be the vessel God is equipping for this great work! Bringing an After school program to your neighborhood is like hospitals being raised up in the depths of Africa where none once existed! Let the light shine and let the healing begin....I pray for the future of these children, that they will be a part of the mighty transformation of their people!

Evan said...

Bro! The website looks legit. The program sounds legit. I love the vision behind it and really believe in your work.