Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Verse 23

"But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then,when he comes, those who belong to him."

Those who belong to him.

Belong to him.

What a thought.

In this book Paul is writing to a seriously dysfunctional group of Christ-followers who he at one point tells, "You are not your own; you were bought at a price."

I am not my own?

Really?

This isn't an idea, that I frequently dwell on. It's not comfortable. It's not easy. It carries baggage. In our highly individual centered culture, the idea that anyone else can tell me what I should do, where I should go, or if I'm wrong is taken as a major offense. So how much moreso the claim of belonging to anyone but me, myself, and I.

And, I'm not just talking post-modernism, what about classic American values like "you control your own destiny" and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps." These, too, leave no room for the concept that someone else could possibly make any claim on my self or personhood.

But when you know the experiential meaning of the phrase, what could be more wonderful?

What could be more wonderful than to belong to Jesus. To belong to him who is not just omniscient (so he knows what I need), and not just omnipotent (so he is able to meet those needs), but is omnibenevolent and all love (so he will gladly, lovingly take care of us).

I can trust that, I can trust Him far more than I can trust myself. I would far rather belong to Him than belong to myself. Because the more I get to know myself, the less impressed I am.

Thanks be to God that life can be about falling deeper and deeper into His leading, direction, and identity that we might belong more and more to him.

0 comments: